Starting Out in Bullet Journaling


Hello, Internet! I’ve recently started out in bullet journaling, and I’m really enjoying it so far. If you don’t know what bullet journaling is, it’s a journal with an organization system that’s completely customizable to you and your preferences. It’s like a mixture of a planner, diary, and a to-do list, and I think this system is a really fun and cool way to keep track of things.

They’re good for people who are organized, are into habit tracking and setting goals, and people who like to keep journals and diaries. Obviously, though, these aren’t requirements. There are multitudes of reasons why someone decided to start a bullet journal. For me personally, it was because I wanted to become better organized (and to improve my handwriting, to be honest) Today, I want to help you dip your toes into bullet journaling and teach you some basics if you’re interested.

In the world of bullet journaling, there are a lot of terms and fancy language that can be confusing at times, so I’m just going to go at it step-by-step.


When you’re starting out, you don’t need anything fancy or ornate. You really only need a journal and a pen. If you’re anything like me (awful handwriting, makes mistakes often) I would really recommend using a pencil as well. It really helps to write in pencil first and then go over it in pen, so as to avoid making mistakes.
For a journal, I use an Eccolo lined journal. A lot of bullet journalers like to use dotted notebooks for more control, but I personally prefer lined journals. What I also like about the one I use is that the paper is thick enough so that the pen I use doesn’t bleed through the paper. If you want to avoid bleed-through, then I would suggest looking for journals with thicker paper.
I use a Sharpie Pen, and I like the quality of it a lot. It doesn’t smudge, and the ink is really nice.
These materials are good for when you’re starting out in bullet journaling and don’t want to break the bank, but if you’re for sure committed and want to get deeper into it, there are some supplies I can recommend.

Having a ruler is a good idea when bullet journaling. It just helps you draw straighter lines and makes the journal seem more organized. It really doesn’t need to be anything special; I use a triangle ruler that I found in my junk drawer. But having a ruler is very helpful.
If you want to add color to your journal, colored pens are a good way to go. I use a set of Papermate Flair pens. They’re really reliable, and I like the variety of colors.
Lastly, I would recommend having a pencil case for all your things, just so it’s easier to take things on the go.
That’s it for materials, let’s go on to the actual journaling part.


The first things you want in a bullet journal is a key and an index. We’ll start with a key.

There are a lot of different symbols in journaling that are used to keep track of things. There isn’t a set icon for certain things, it’s just what’s easiest to remember for you. I wrote my key down on the blank page before the journal starts so it’s easy and accessible. Next up is an index.

Every page in your journal should be numbered. Leave a few pages in the beginning for your index, where as you write entries, you’ll add them to the list. It’s really helpful, but if you don’t want to use one, it’s totally up to you.

Now, a lot of bullet journals have a “future log” or “a year at a glance.” This is basically just a page or two dedicated to a yearly calendar. It can look something like this.


I don’t have this because I didn’t really feel the need, but if it’s something you’re interested in, then go for it!

Though I don’t do a future log, I do a monthly calendar and a weekly log. A monthly calendar is kind of like a yearly, but it’s only dedicated to a month, and they’re used to keep track of goals, tasks, events, etc.

My June Monthly looks like this, but there are tons of different ways you can do it. For example…
A post shared by cindy (@cqlettering) on



You can make it as simple or complex as you want. It’s up to you.
A weekly is similar, but it’s dedicated to a week. This is mine:

Here's another example:
A post shared by Lyneil Gray (@lgbujo) on


Like I said, as simple or complex as you want it to be.

One of the main points in bullet journaling is to keep the writing short and minimal. Try not to write long-winded paragraphs, and instead write small jots.

But the most important thing to remember is this: don't stress over your journal! It doesn't have to look picture perfect (mine is proof of that) It just has to represent you and what you want it to be. So don't get frustrated if your's doesn't look like it belongs in The Louvre. It's okay, don't worry.

And that’s really all there is to it! You can find more tutorials and help guides about bullet journaling online, and I’ll leave some links after the sign-off. I’ll also include a few Instagram accounts where you can get some inspiration for your journal. I'm really sorry if this was awful, I'm absolutely terrible at explaining things. Even so, I wish you the best of luck! Thanks for reading,
-Ari

Helpful Articles:
Buzzfeed
The Lazy Genius Collective
Tiny Ray of Sunshine (a more in-depth guide)

Instagram Accounts:
minimalistbujo
pages2plans
bujoinspire

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August Wrap Up

Fallen series by Lauren Kate Book Review

Lord of Shadows Booktalk