Five Fan Favorites: May Edition


Hello, Internet! I’m coming at you today with a new edition of Five Fan Favorites! If you didn’t know, this is a segment I do in which I ask myself five questions (favorite book of the month, favorite book quote of the month, favorite book cover of the month, and favorite word of the month) so you guys can kind of know what cycles through my mind. So, let’s get into it!

Favorite Book: If you read my May Wrap Up, you’ll know that I only read one book this month. Shameful, I know, but good thing it was a really good book! My favorite book of the month was Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff. The genre was something I wasn’t used to, but the plot was interesting, the characters were great, and the overall experience was amazing. I mentioned this in my Wrap Up, but I love how the book was exclusively multimedia and not just traditional writing. I think it really added to the story and gave it more meaning.

Favorite Book Quote: “We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.” -Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere’s Fan

In this book, Lord Darlington is in love with Lady Windermere, a married woman. When she rejects him, he goes off with some other men and plays cards. A conversation ensues about good women and bad men. Here’s how it goes:

Dumby: I don’t think we are bad. I think we are all good, except Tuppy.
Lord Darlington: We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Looking at this quote in context, it’s about (at least to me, it is) how everyone is, in theory, a bad person, but some people strive not to be. Of course we’re not all saints who haven’t uttered an unkind word in their lives. We’ve all done some pretty crappy things in our lives. But a lot of people want to be better than that. They want to look at the (metaphorical) stars and be hopeful that there is good in the world, and that they can be a part of that.

Favorite Book Cover: My favorite book cover this month was Illuminae. I mean, besides the fact that this was the only book I read this month, it’s gorgeous! It has that kind of galaxy/watercolor-y vibe, and when you take the jacket off, it’s still pretty! Ask anyone I know, and they will tell you that I couldn’t shut up about how pretty this cover is.\

Favorite Word: At the moment, I’m loving the word “capricious”. Just the sound of it and the shape of the word is just...It’s really great, I like it a lot.

That is it for today! I have something cool coming your way soon. I’m almost done with A Court of Wings and Ruin, so I’m toying with the idea of doing a series review for the A Court of Thorns and Roses trilogy. What do you think? Let me know in the comments below, and I will see you later! Thanks for reading,

-Ari

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August Wrap Up

Fallen series by Lauren Kate Book Review

Lord of Shadows Booktalk